Sunday, April 18, 2010

NHL Playoffs 2010

This is my favorite time of the year. I love the Stanley Cup Playoffs. I love that teams play every other night, unlike the endless delays in the NBA playoffs. It does not take long for teams to develop a strong dislike for each other during a playoff round. Because the coaching and film study have advanced in recent years, each team knows the other's tendencies and can develop counters for them.

I love playoff overtime. The overtime games tend to end either very quickly or go on and on.... As long as I don't have to get up for work the next morning, I will stick it out to the bitter end.

Here are a few things that I will be watching for during the first round (I refuse to call them "the conference quarter finals"):

  • Which of the goalies that are in the playoffs for the first time will shine? Jimmie Howard? Bryzgalov? Quick? Rask? Halak? Niemi? Wow. That's a lot of teams that are relying on untested goaltenders.
  • Upsets. The first round always seems to give us an upset.
  • San Jose. Can the Sharks make it out of the first round?
  • Officiating. Which games will be decided by a crucial call or non-call?
  • Who will step up and who will disappear? The playoffs usually give us an unlikely hero as well as some disappointing performances by "stars"?
Let's enjoy the next two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment