Monday, June 27, 2011

RIP:Google Health

Google made an announcement last week that they are discontinuing Google Health.

As we just announced in the Official Google Blog, we will be discontinuing the Google Health service and platform over the next several months. For more context around this announcement, please check out our blog post.
Many folks in HIT have commented on this. Here is my two cents.

I created a Google Health account while taking a class in my Medical Informatics program. It seemed ok, but I was really not sure what to do with it. I am healthy and do not visit doctors unless something breaks, so I could not really find a use for it. The only data in there was information that I keyed in.

Google Health hitched their wagon to CCR and not CCD which seems to me to be a big mistake.

So, Google slinks off, tail between its legs. They thought that they could "fix" healthcare. They ended up building a product that people did not think was useful.

The most insightful comment that I read was:

... and nothing of value was lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment