Saturday, October 17, 2009

Formula One Qualifying in Brasil

I've liked Formula One since they held a few races on the streets of Detroit back in the 80s. I was working in the Renaissance center at the time and it was in the middle of the track. I didn't watch the race, but I did walk around during Friday practice one year.

I am watching qualifying on Saturday as I type this. It is raining hard on the course. These are the best drivers in the world, so we expect them to be able to race in the rain. The on-board camera shots give some indication of just how poor the visibility is.

I always contrast that with the NASCAR attitude that says "We can't race in the rain."

I am an early riser, so I don't have an issue with getting up early on Sunday morning to watch an F1 race from Europe. I'm not dedicated enough to stay up and watch the races from Asia that start at 1am ET.

The completed the first qualifying session, but red flagged the second session following a nasty crash. It's raining very hard. The course has a number of elevation changes, which results in water running across the course.

They will finish qualifying this afternoon, but there is college football on, as well. I am going to watch that.

Reubens Baricello won the pole. I didn't see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment