Sunday, May 1, 2011

My New Job: Healthcare Solution Architect

I will start a new job on May 9. I will be working for Covisint as a Healthcare Solution Architect. I am really looking forward to this.

When I started the Masters program at Northwestern, this is the sort of job that I was hoping that the degree would prepare me for.

I did get a curious question when I was interviewing for the position. The question was, "Will you be comfortable not doing any of the development?" My roll will be to design or "architect" the systems and to outline the deployment plan, but then I will get to hand the real work off to others. Hmmm.... I hadn't thought of that. I have been building IT systems for over twenty years. I think that I will be able to live vicariously through the work of the teams that will be implementing the solutions that I design. I think that my years as a developer will give me a better understanding of what I need to provide the developers so that we can succeed.

Winston Churchill said that "However beautiful the strategy, we must occasionally look at results." I intend to make sure that we have success metrics in place before we begin implementing so that we can see whether we successfully implemented.

It should be an interesting transition, and I am looking forward to a new role and challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment